|The Bama Bike Fest|
Forkland is best known for the anual biker event called the Bama Bike Fest. Despite the bad rap bikers get, this party is really civil. Sure, there are naked people, but hey, it's a free country and no one really is getting hurt. In fact, It's highly likely people are more comfortable then most folks are willing to allow themselves to be.
Please note that Frank and Connie Acker are out and the new owner is Alan Duke. Alan promises better rally grounds, the General Lee and one of the biggest deep south parties ever seen at this event. Welcoming ROADHOUSE Atlanta, Plowmule, wet T-Shirt contests!
Spring Rally started March 19th
Summer Rally June 25th-28th
Fall Rally October 22-25
More on Google Bama Bike Fest
If you're out this way, be sure to check out Bird's Farm. It's significant because here you will find the truest form of art in the region. The artist is Jim Bird, a man that sees materials where others see burnt out machinery, scrap and waste. A part of Bird?s Farm land, large field beside Highway 43, contains many of this amusing and imaginative pieces. His favorite material would have to be the hay bale. The hay bale creations include a ship on rough seas, a rabbit, a helicopter, an army tank, a matador in trouble with a bull, three monkeys that represent ?hear no evil?, ?see no evil? and ?speak no evil?, an octopus devouring a seaman, a pink muscle car, and several other amusing creations.
St. John's-In-The-Prairie, now known as St. John's Episcopal Church, is a small Gothic-style church that is believed to have been constructed according to the designs of the prominent New York architect, Richard Upjohn. The church was originally erected nine miles southwest of Greensboro in 1859. In 1870, the building was moved across the Black Warrior River to Forkland, and in 1878-1879 it was re-erected at its current location. Features of the church include pointed arch windows and doorways and a curved roof. The curved roof creates a soaring effect emphasized by the vertical battens and the three windows of the facade. In 1935, the church was documented in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS). The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on November 20, 1975.