St. John’s In-The-Prairie, now known as St. John’s Episcopal Church, is a small Gothic-style church that is believed to have been constructed according to the designs of the prominent New York architect, Richard Upjohn. The
church was originally erected nine miles southwest of Greensboro in 1859. In 1870, the building was moved across the Black Warrior River to Forkland, and in 1878-1879 it was re-erected at its current location. Features of the church include pointed arch windows and doorways and a curved roof. The curved roof creates a soaring effect emphasized
by the vertical battens and the three windows of the facade. In 1935, the church was doc
umented in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS). The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on November 20, 1975.